Lancaster Housing Opportunity Partnership is a private, independent 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization whose mission to cultivate partnerships and resources to increase the availability of quality, fair and affordable housing throughout Lancaster County.
We believe that all families deserve a quality, affordable home, either to purchase or rent. Lancaster County needs to provide residents with a continuum of choices that includes a wide variety of housing sizes, types, locations and prices. As a U.S. Treasury certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) serving Lancaster and York County, we are dedicated to providing a full range of technical and financial services to those seeking to create or preserve affordable housing.
Job Opening: Homeownership Specialist
This is a full-time position which assists with the delivery of a comprehensive first-time homebuyer training and lending program. Major elements of responsibility include processing applications for financial assistance and training prospective homebuyers. The position is integral in assuring that proper and accurate documentation is provided to ensure program integrity for the organization and behalf of its clients.
Primary Tasks and Responsibilities
- Review applications for financial assistance according to established eligibility criteria, confirm receipt of required documentation, and recommend approval. Oversee preparation of loan documents and settlement instructions.
- Ensure that all documentation necessary to demonstrate eligibility of program participants, achievement of program goals, and compliance with funding source expectations are obtained.
- Teach LHOP’s comprehensive classroom pre-purchase and post-purchase homebuyer training program that familiarizes prospective buyers with both the requirements and process to purchase and maintain their home, and post-purchase classes focusing on home maintenance, budgeting, mortgage refinancing, credit maintenance, etc.
- Assist first-time homebuyers with personalized one-on-one counseling sessions structured around client individual needs. The sessions are designed to assist clients with resources, but not limited to understanding the mortgage approval process, budget information, and credit review and strategies, etc.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in residential mortgage underwriting and/or loan processing, and equivalent knowledge in instruction of pre-purchase homeownership, consumer education, budgeting and money management course material. Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, public administration, or a related field is a plus. High School diploma or GED required.
- Knowledge and ability to develop and deliver an effective adult education curriculum, including introduction of creative training and teaching techniques required to achieve educational goals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communications and working relationships with program participants, community organizations, and housing industry representatives.
- Ability to effectively communicate goals and expectations and to market program opportunities.
- Ability to communicate fluently with Spanish speaking clients preferred.
- Knowledge of mortgage loan qualification requirements, real estate practices, and techniques and skills required for successful budget and money management.
- PHFA Housing Counselor and NCHEC (NeighborWorks) Pre- and Post-Purchase Home Ownership Education Certification and HUD certification required within 18 months of employment.
- Intermediate computer skills, including Microsoft Office, Excel, ACCESS, PowerPoint, and other graphic programs.
Work Site: Lancaster or York City offices and other settings to deliver training
Regular Work Hours: Normal office hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm with an hour lunch
Workweek: Monday through Friday and occasional Saturdays and evening for training and counseling sessions.
Reports Directly to: Director of Lending
FLSA Status: Hourly Non-Exempt